Saturday, September 22, 2007

Griping about Gripe Water...

Every morning I get up and ponder turning on the local news...and then I think better of it because I hate starting my day off hearing about something unpleasant and that seems to be all they talk about these days. But...yesterday there was nothing on to watch so I flipped on Channel 9 News. To my surprise I caught the end of a segment about the Baby's Bliss Gripe Water that Evan was taking to help with his "colic."






It had been recalled! Apparently it contains a parasite, cryptosporidium , which causes diarrhea, decreased appetite and stomach cramps. The past few weeks Evan has had all three symptoms - all of which we attributed to growth spurts and nursing! I looked up the information and compared the lot numbers. Sure enough, the bottle we had at home was one of the contaminated bottles.



So, I called the clinic here in town and they had me bring him in. He seems healthy and happy for the most part. Dr. Heilman said that it should clear up on its own within a few days (I guess cryptosporidium does that) and we don't have to be worried. He gave us a stool sample collection kit to bring back just to be on the safe side. (By the way, its terribly difficult to collect poop from a diaper! They suggested lining the inside with saran wrap to make it easier...yikes.)

If you would like more info for your own peace of mind click on this link: Gripe Water Recall

No comments: